Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rupert update




My poor puppy is going down hill fast. The cancer in his shoulder is growing fast and is restricting movement in his left leg. Rupert is not as active as he was a few months ago, he still wants to play and go for walks but he doesn't run around exploring and if I stop so does he and lies down. We are now giving him a pain killer every evening so he can sleep better, he mainly grumbles at night.


Neighbours and friends keep asking how much time Rupert has left.... I don't know how to answer this, I just say we'll know when it's time to let him go and he seems to have few months yet.... But will we know? I don't want to make him suffer and right now he doesn't seem to be in horrible pain. He is still mobile, still eats and his body functions are fine. I'm not sure how much he can take though... or rather how much Mike and I can watch Rupert go through.






On a side note, I've been noticing more puppies around. I feel a little guilty about it but I think I am preparing to let Rupert go and move on to a new dog. It will still take awhile but I know emotionally I can deal with it, I will not slide down into depression. This is one of life's moments/lessons to make us stronger!




No comments: