Thursday, June 14, 2012

Squash Mountain

Last year when we cleared the back lot, we put all the sod, grass, and clippings into a pile to compost down.  The girls had a blast playing on it and it was dubbed  Grass Mountain. This past Halloween I got the girls and boys, whom I babysit, to dump the pumpkin guts onto the hill in hope some would seed themselves for spring.

March and April, I searched the hill every 4 days in hope to see pumpkin seedlings sprouting all over but, alas, nothing.  Then in early May I found two little oval, dark green leaves, it's what I was looking and waiting for! I searched for more, waited another 2 weeks but no new plants were to be seen. 4 pumpkins worth of seeds but only one, measly little, seed took hold.  I was a little disappointed. I had grand dreams of the hill being covered by  big pumpkin leaves, twisty, curly vines, and beautiful big orange globes for this fall.

Not one to be kept down, I dug around in my seed stash and found an old package of zucchini seeds.  They were at least 4 years old and I knew it was a long shot but I planted them in the hill anyway. 2 weeks later and not a one sprouted.

It's now the second week on June, I am still determined to grow some vines on that pile of composting grass and sod.  A few days ago, while shopping, I bought a 6 pack of butternut squash seedlings. Today, with the help of Ivy, I planted four of those plants onto (into?) the pile and while doing so I found two (TWO!!) zucchini seedlings!  Yaaa!! 

So it is official, Grass Mountain will now be known as Squash Mountain! One pumpkin, 2 zucchini and 4 butternut squash! 
(2 butternuts were planted into the garden, just in case you were wondering what happened to them)

... now, how to keep the children and dog off the hill....

No comments: