Monday, February 20, 2012

Apple Pie

I have been baking up a storm this past week, being in the kitchen helps lift my spirits and lets me deal with my emotions. T is still my friend, she (kind of) admitted she was wrong and stated that she didn't want anything to come between our friendship, I'm doing better... not 100% yet but almost. Anyhow...

Out of the blue, Sunday morning, Anna asked why I don't make pie. I reminded her of all the plum/apple tarts we made in the summer and fall but she said they aren't real pies. So I asked her what kind of pie would she like to make and after some silly talk of chocolate moose(animal), peanut butter pumpkin and strawberry bugs we decided on apple. We googled some recipes and Anna chose what she wanted and off to the kitchen we went.  Our apple harvest this fall was healthy and plentiful and we were able to store some apples in the basement. Mike brought up a box for us to use, the little apples were soft and wrinkly but still good and they made the pie very sweet but not overly so. I don't usually post recipes but I'll make concessions with this one, too good not to share! It's a mix of different recipes and from my memory, so hopefully I won't leave anything out.

Anna's Apple Pie
Dough:
2 1/4 cups  flour, all purpose
1  tsp         salt
1  tbsp       sugar, white
1  cup        Tenderflake (shortening/lard)
6-7 tbsp    cold water

Filling:
Apples! enough to filling pie plate heaping, I didn't measure/count
3/4 - 1 cup  Brown sugar
2  tbsp     cornstarch
1/2 tsp     pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg/cloves mix
1-2 tsp    cinnamon
2 pinches salt
1-2 tbsp   dairy free margarine (butter, marg)

Topping:
1-2 tbsp  Almond milk (rice, soy or cow's milk)
1 tbsp     course sugar

Directions:
Dough: mix dry ingredients. Cut shortening into flour mix with pastry blender or by rubbing hands together, (good job for kids) till shortening is small pea size.  Drizzle water one tbsp at a  time and onto mixture and toss with a knife (prevents overmixing) until mixture forms and holds a ball shape when gripped with hands. cut dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.  Roll out half on floured counter and place in pie shell. Roll out other half and slice into long strips for lattice top or roll out into one sheet for regular top.

Filling:
Peel and slice apples, small and thin (1"x2"x1/8").  Mix dry ingredients thoroughly and then toss with apples. Dump onto dough in pie shell and dot with marg.

Topping:
Place top layer of dough on pie filling, lattice or regular (regular will need some vent holes) crimp, press around the edges. Brush top dough with milk and sprinkle course sugar all over evenly.
Bake at 425F for 15mins and then 350F for 50 mins and enjoy!

This has to be the flakiest crust I've ever made! The brown sugar lends the pie a caramel flavour that we all love but you can use white sugar for a more traditional feel. *Mom, notice the glass pie plate you gave me! I still have it and love it!*

1 comment:

Bea @ The Not So Cheesy Kitchen said...

Your Apple pue looks delicious! Thank you fir sharing. Hope all is well with you and yours :)

B