Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Post 54 ~Anna's CT scan

Anna's visit to the hospital last Thursday was.....lets just say we hope we don't have to go through it again!

The first bit was fine, Anna loved wearing the hospital gown and giggled when the wires were stuck to her chest and tummy. She had the playroom all to herself and loved the big truck but after that it was miserable.

They had to give her a sedative to make her more complacent, it made her drunk. She could not hold herself up, she was cranky and she would not fall asleep like they hoped she would. Then we took her for the CT scan and the tech asked where the IV was, nurse said that Doc said Anna didn't need one, Tech said "yes she does I should know" so back up to peds to get an IV. They put some numbing cream on her hands but she kept taking it off so the nurse wrapped her hands up in this blue absorbent plastic cloth stuff and gave her another dose of sedative hoping she'd fall asleep...which she didn't. Anna FREAKED having her hands covered, she kept saying "I have no hands" over and over, poor little girl was stoned out of her tree. Finally the IV was put in and down to CT we went again but we had to wait for an hour till we could squeeze in between other patients. Then the tech and the nurse had a hard time getting the liquid dye in the IV as it kept shifting in the vein, poor Anna cried and cried. Anna loved have the actually scan, kept saying " cheese, look mommy I have my picture taken....Cheese!" Hummm, funny girl!

On the way back to peds Anna ripped out her IV and there was blood everywhere, Luckily there was no damage done, to make her happy the nurse gave her a Popsicle. After waiting another hour for the Doc to come and check on Anna one last time we were able to go home but the misery kept on coming. Because she was so doped up she couldn't walk on her own but she wanted to so she screamed all the way from the hospital to the van (of course we had to park 1/2 km away) then she didn't want me to sit next to her (doc said to, to make she kept breathing all the way home) so she screamed all the way to Grandma Scott's. I was able to calm her down there but since grandma wasn't home we decided to set off for home but as soon as Mike put her in the van the screaming started again....and so did the puking. 4 times she threw up in the 1 1/2 hours, not fun! By the time we came home Anna was better, I gave her a bath and she played some with Ivy (who spent the day having fun with her friend Jacob at his house) and then finally at 8:30pm she went to bed and slept all night long!!

The next day... she remembered nothing! She keeps asking when we will be going to the Doctors, Aaugg! We will be getting the results of the scan by the end of this week (hopfully) Doctor should be calling us with them.

Anna lovin the gown
Anna playing in the playroom, loved the truck
First trip to the CT scan room, before IV
hands wrapped up in blue cloth to keep numbing cream on
after scan, enjoying popsicle looking at bandaid covering the IV hole


allier said...

I was glad to see your post. I was thinking about you as you had mentioned you were going to get the ct scan done. We will pray for great results!

Anonymous said...

Poor Anna. Hope the results are worth the trouble. Kids and sedatives just don't mix eh. Both my daughter and niece were the same after being sedated. Love the photos.
BTW it's Nursebecca from the palor here. LOL

STELLA said...

My best to Anna... What a beautiful child... Hugs...