Sunday, May 3, 2009

my Garden

Spring has sprung in my little valley! Being in the mountains in a narrow north/south valley spring is usually later then the rest of my province. The trees are just starting to bud, blossoms should be here next week or so.

Mike has rota tilled the garden, it's now my turn to weed/rake/clean and PLANT! but most of planting will take place later in May. Hoping to get the peas and potatoes in by the end of this week.

I usually start my tomatoes in the house in March but I forgot and was too busy so this year I planted the seeds straight into the pots in the greenhouse. I hope they will take and survive, it is still frosty at night, thou just mild. also in the Greenhouse, the chives came back! a surprise, I had forgotten about them. The cucumber and lettuce have popped up, as well as Some sunflowers the girls planted in egg cartons. I bought some Parsley seedlings and am thinking of keeping some int he house and the rest I'll transfer to the greenhouse, but the card with them says 32*F and up.... so that's 0*C... hopefully the frost will end soon!

I am planning on planting: Green Peas, Sugar Snap Peas, Potatoes, Carrots, Beets, Radishes, Zucchini, and Onions

And So far I have planted: Tomatoes(5 kinds), Cucumbers, Lettuce, Parsley, Pansies, and sunflowers.

I'm also going to experiment growing potatoes in car tires, as the plants grow you add a tire and fill with dirt. supposed to get a higher yield from each plant. Have to scavenge some tires form the dump. I'll still plant potatoes in the garden, I'm thinking these tires will be good outside of the garden fence... might have to made a wire dome over the top of each stack to keep deer out.... I'll post pictures if/when I do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How hot does it get in your green house? We have tomatoes going, they are doing well, going to plant them outside in June... Good luck on the garden... Do you have deer that you have to fight with?