Sunday, March 2, 2008

post # 25-Crooked Fingers

It is time for an update of my fingers/hand. All the scabs have healed, the skin grafts have all taken and now I am left with these Crooked fingers and weak hand. I am thankful that I'm whole and fully healed but it's difficult living with these numb, stiff, sensitive, almost useless digits. I know, I know, I shouldn't dwell on the negative, and I usually don't, it could have been a lot worse.

My Brother-in-law e-mailed this to me:
"ah well scars are good they show that we've over come obsticals in life"
I think that's one of the truest and smartest things he's said to me in a long while.

I have been using my hand in normal, everyday activities and most things are no big deal. But anything that needs strength and a firm grip are still difficult. It will take time, and patience, which if anyone knows me will know those are not my strong points, lol.


This last photo is a shot of my wrist where the skin graft was taken from. It's quite ugly: a wobbly thin scar with small red dots to either side from the stitches. It is embarrassing having it on my wrist, I always think people will think that I tried to commit suicide. It's very itchy all the time too.

As I said in a previous post, the plastic surgeon, Dr.DG, said it would take 1 to 1 1/2 years till the pinkie looks normal, so hopefully by then I will be able to straighten these fingers and bend my wrist fully too. I have seen improvement in my wrist's mobility in the last 3 weeks from the physio exercises.

Hmmm, I wonder what that black line on the wall is, I didn't notice it before but it seems to be in all the photos, I'll have to investigate..... So that's that for now

No comments: